Hospital Bag Essentials
5 kids later, I finally mastered the hospital bag! With Miss Claire on the way any day now (hopefully) I am making sure everything is set and ready to go for her arrival. And that includes my hospital bag!
The first time, I had no idea what I needed.
The second time, I overpacked.
The third time, I forgot chapstick and scrunchies.
The fourth time, I forgot mints and gum.
This time, I think I've finally got it down. Check out these lists below to see what’s in my bag.
Everything is broken up into 3 sections. One for me, the second is all about baby and the third is for your partner (yes they need some stuff too!)
I. For me
1. Gownie labor gown
2. Fuzzy socks with grip
3. Two nursing bras
4. Two robes (one for pictures, one for real life)
5. Two sets of PJs (brallette top for easy access)
6. A sweat suit to leave the hospital in.
***Notice I didn’t pack underwear. I intend to wear the hospital ones
1. Toothbrush and toothpaste
5. BB cream
6. Makeup remover wipes
8. Blush/contour set
10. Curling iron
11. Travel size dry shampoo
1. Electrolytes powder
2. Small tumbler w/straw
3. Protein bars
4. Gum and mints (labor gives you cotton mouth... especially when you’re high on nitrous gas )
5. Cash/coins for vending machines
1. Long cable charger
2. Fully charged iPad (turned off to conserve battery)
II. For baby
1. Two swaddle blankets for skin to skin
2. Freshly Picked velcro swaddle
3. One footie
4. Two gowns—one for pictures and one for real life
5. Matching hats, bonnets, and bows
6. Going home outfit with socks, booties, and mittsc
1. Mustela wash and shampoo (best thing on earth for babies prone to cradle cap and eczema!)
2. Aquaphor tube
***Again, notice no diapers or wipes... plenty of those at the hospital.
C. Baby Gear
1. A sling or wrap. I packed my Konny Baby Carrier this time!
2. Nursing pillow
3. Car seat
***No breast pump—the hospital has plenty in case you need one and if there are no complications, your milk won’t actually come in for a few days.
D. For pictures
1. Name tag/sign
2. Blanket to cover hospital bassinet mattress
III. For your partner
1. Picture outfit!!! They won’t do it if you don’t.
2. 2 sets of PJs
3. Snacks! Pack them because the last thing you need is a crabby labor partner - seriously
4. Energy drink—they’ll need it.
5. Toothbrush and toothpaste
6. If this is your first time, a printed copy of your birth plan.
There you have it. That is my complete list, nothing more and nothing less. Did I miss a must have you couldn’t live without? Feel free to comment with it below so I can add it to my bag!
Note: All of the baby items fit in my Lily Jadeco bag! I am so obsessed with it!